Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center is poised to open for its third season on Saturday May 26. We just need to move some cardboard boxes out of the way, do a bit of dusting, and make sure there’s plenty of toilet paper in the biffy . . . then we should be good to go! Chik-Wauk will be open every day from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. from May 26 – October 21.
Got opening day down on your calendar?
But there’s a whole lot of other dates you’ll want to write down before you set aside your pen . . .
On Saturday, June 2, Chik-Wauk will be hosting several events in conjunction with the Boreal Birding and Northern Landscapes Festival. All events at Chik-Wauk start on the museum’s front porch and are free and open to the public. Come to one or come to all. We’d love to have you there!
Chik-Wauk Boreal Birding Events
Saturday, June 2nd
- 7 a.m. Warber Hike with Gunflint Trail birder Kate Kelnberger on Chik-Wauk’s grounds
- 2 p.m. Common Loon Presentation – Loon enthusiast and non-game wildlife volunteer for the MN DNR, Phyllis Sherman, will present on Minnesota’s state bird: the Common Loon. Meet on Chik-Wauk’s front porch. Chik-Wauk’s bay hosts a loon nesting platform; chances are, you’ll get to see nesting loon family during Phyllis’s talk!
- 3 p.m. Breeding Bird Atlas Presentation and Hike - Local birder Jeremy Ridlbauer is active with the Minnesota Breeding Bird Atlas volunteer project and will talk briefly about the project. Afterwards, he’ll lead participants on birding hike along Chik-Wauk trails
Gunflint Trail Historical Society meeting dates for 2012 season
All meetings 1:30 p.m. at the Gunflint Lodge Conference Center
- June 11
- July 9
- August 13
- September 10
GTHS Special Event Fundraisers
- June 18, noon, Annual Fish Fry Lunch (Chik-Wauk grounds)
- August 11, 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Pie and Ice Cream Social (Chik-Wauk front porch)
- September 8, TBA, Hungry Jack Lake Home tour (TBA)
Free and Open to the Public
Thursdays, 3 p.m., June 21 – August 23: U.S. Forest Service Ranger Presentations on Chik-Wauk front porch as part of the Becoming a Boundary Waters Family program.
Sundays, 2 p.m., June 24 – August 25: Sunday Walks and Talks series with local naturalists and historians. Meet on Chik-Wauk front porch.
Check out our events page on Facebook for the most comprehensive look at all of Chik-Wauk’s upcoming events. If you’re not on Facebook, you can also find limited information on our calendar of events page. Call us at 218-388-9915 or email email@example.com at any time for more information.
See you around this summer!