Racking your brain for the perfect holiday gift? For the Northwoods lover on your gift list, consider some Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center apparel this holiday season. Thoughtful and functional, gifts selected from Chik-Wauk’s gift shop support the efforts of the Gunflint Trail Historical Society and help sustain Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center.
This holiday season we’re pleased to offer:
Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center Clothing
$16.95 – 39.95
Embroidered t-shirts and sweatshirts feature Chik-Wauk’s snazzy jack pine logo. We also have forest green hooded sweatshirts with the retro Chik-Wauk lodge logo, silkscreened “Chik-Wauk on Mighty Saganaga” red t-shirts, and a selection of ball caps. Please note: we have limited sizes and colors available. Consult the order form (below) for more details.
Don’t want to guess sizes? These gifts always fit.
Chik-Wauk Drinking Glass $10.73
With this 16 oz drinking glass you can serve Santa his milk in style this Christmas Eve.
Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center Mug $15.05
This generous sized mug holds 20 oz of coffee, soup, or your favorite holiday season warm beverage.
A Taste of the Gunflint Trail cookbook $21.52
A great cookbook and a history lesson to boot. This tome provides the most comprehensive overview of Gunflint Trail history out there. Equally enjoyed by both men and women!
To order, simply complete our Mail Order Form and submit with check payment to the address indicated on the form. (Sorry, we can’t handle credit cards during the off season.) All questions should be directed to email@example.com.
Happy holidays and happy shopping!
On the Gunflint Trail, woodsmoke is mingling with snowflakes. Skim ice covers the edges of most lakes’ bays and slender icicles hang in rows off cabin eaves. Many critters in the forest have settled in for a long winter’s nap.
But the Gunflint Trail Historical Society doesn’t hibernate during the winter months. While Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center is boarded up until May 2012, GTHS board members and employees have plenty of tasks to keep themselves busy.
Our projects and tasks include:
- Continued oral history work (Know of someone with a ton of Gunflint Trail history and stories? Would you like to be interviewed yourself? Please let us know. We’re actively working to expand our collection of oral history interviews. The collection isn’t complete without your story!)
- Archival work: continued archival work keeps us organized and helps us be a better resource to outside researchers.
- Exploration of creating museum video dvds for resale in museum shop. We’ve received many, many comments from visitors who would like to take a piece of Chik-Wauk home with them in the form of a DVD. Are you one of those individuals? If so, please comment below and let us know so we can form a more accurate idea of how much demand there is for this.
- 2012 scheduling. We’re always looking for naturalists and historians who are interested in sharing their knowledge with Chik-Wauk visitors. If you’d be interested in giving a presentation or leading a nature walk during the 2012 season, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Possible exhibit additions
- Giving the GTHS website a fresh, updated look
Want to learn more about what’s happening with the Gunflint Trail Historical Society? The Gunflint Times, the biannual society newsletter, comes out later this month. By becoming a GTHS member, you’ll make sure you don’t miss a single issue and you’ll support GTHS efforts year-round.
What are things you’d like to see at Chik-Wauk next season? What ideas do you have that would help us improve? Let us know below!
It’s the third annual “Give to the Max Day” today, the day when the website Give MN asks Minnesotans to dig into their pockets and support their favorite Minnesota nonprofit.
Individuals can use the GiveMN.org website year-round to locate and donate to Minnesota nonprofits. However, on “Give to the Max” day (also called the Great Minnesota Get-Together) there are extra incentives to donate. Each hour today, donors are entered into a drawing, known as the Golden Ticket to win an additional $1000 for their nonprofit. At the end of the day, $10,000 are given away to one lucky MN nonprofit. All you have to do to get the Gunflint Trail Historical Society in the running for those prizes is donate today in the Gunflint Trail Historical Society’s name.
Participating in “Give to the Max” day on behalf of the GTHS is easy. Just head over to the Gunflint Trail Historical Society’s Give MN website and look for the “Make a Donation” box on the right-hand side of the page. The donation process is fast and secure: literally, a two-click procedure. You can pay with Visa, Mastercard, or American Express and can also schedule weekly, monthly, or annual payments.
But why donate to the Gunflint Trail Historical Society today?
- You get more bang for your buck with when you donate online. While grant funds can cost nonprofits 20 cents per $1 raised and direct mail campaigns as much as $1.25 (yowzers!), an online donation costs organizations like the GTHS just 7 cents per $1 raised.
- Any donation over $25.00 can be applied to a Gunflint Trail Historical Society membership. Let us know you’d like your gift applied to your membership dues by clicking “add a designation” in the “your donation” box on the second page of the donation process and type “GTHS membership.”
- Your donation promotes the preservation of Gunflint Trail history. Your gift helps the GTHS conduct oral history interviews, create archival space, reconstruct a historic cabin on Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center grounds, expand museum exhibits, and much more.
- Your donation helps the Gunflint Trail Historical Society ensure Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center remains an important educational and community facility on the Gunflint Trail, by helping the GTHS maintain nature trails, fund naturalist programming, and maintain the building and grounds.
- Your gift keeps the Gunflint Trail Historical Society growing and strong.
- Your gift is completely tax-deductible.
Prefer not to charge your donation? No problem. Just head over to our official website and click on the large “donate” button in the middle of the page to process your payment from your bank account through the Vanco server. This donation won’t be part of the “Give to the Max” festivities, but it is still very much appreciated.
Thank you for including the Gunflint Trail Historical Society in your giving!